The Augustinian Canons monastery in Neustift was founded in 1142 by Blessed Hartmann, bishop of Brixen, and became one of Tyrol’s richest and most influential monasteries thanks to numerous donations. Over the centuries, it survived the Peasants’ Revolt, epidemics, secularisation and world wars, its cloisters preserving Gothic frescoes dating from the 14th and 15th centuries. During the 18th century, large parts of the monastery were extended with magnificent additions in Baroque style. The complex features, among other things, a collegiate church lavishly decorated with frescoes and stucco work, and an impressive rococo library hall. The Neustift monastery is still inhabited by Augustinian monks, who run a secondary school, a convention centre and a museum displaying Gothic altars and a collection of valuable manuscripts.
The monastery grounds also include an extensive wine estate, which has been there since its foundation, and visitors have the chance to purchase its award-winning white wines directly on site.